Sharp sand, or washed grit sand as it’s otherwise known, is a coarser grade of sand with larger grains than other types of sand, and it has a lower clay content. The sand of choice for providing support underneath flag stones, concrete slabs and paving stones, our sharp sand is also commonly used to mix concrete and other cementitious renders. It can be mixed with building sand depending on the application, playing an important part in any construction project.
In horticultural use the larger grain structure of grit sand provides excellent drainage and can be used to loosen clay-heavy soils that would otherwise be waterlogged. It’s frequently used as a component of potting soil mix, again to aid drainage and prevent developing roots from rotting due to being exposed to too much water.
- Sharp sand is a coarser grade of sand than other types.
- Add to clay-heavy soil to aid drainage and improve waterlogged areas.
- Commonly used to mix concrete and other cementitious renders.
- Use grit sand in potting mix to improve drainage and prevent root rot.
- Angular, jagged grains so not suitable for use in playgrounds or sandpits.
- Environmentally friendly and sustainable.
- Contact us if you require loose load delivery.